Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homestead Today


I thought I'd give you a little peek into what the homestead looks like today. The only reason I call it a "homestead" is because I harbor a secret desire to run away from all of the crowds, lines, traffic, pollution, and crabby neighbors, but in reality I'd probably be very lonely. I like the proximity to cultural activities, Museums, the beach and family so I'm staying where I am for now. Meanwhile, I've taken the opportunity to live as healthy a lifestyle as I can. Healthy means a sustainable, low carbon footprint, pesticide and herbicide-free lifestyle. Natural, homemade products, even if they require more work are a priority. Despite what the press has to say on the topic, I'm a firm believer that organic is the only way to eat. That means I live on a 1/4 acre of expensive land that I "farm" on.

My biggest challenges are three of my suburban neighbors so you might read me venting baout them every now and then, but I will try to keep that to a minimum. They don't like my lifestyle and take every chance they can to call the town officials to complain about me. I don't mind the town officials because I make a point of following the rules.


So after that introduction this is what the homestead looks like today. Here's the animal count:
9 hens
1 Rooster
7 eggs in the incubator
6 Cayguga ducks (will hatch some of those eggs after the chicken eggs)
2 cats
1 Angora rabbit
4 bee hives
1 large vermicompost bin

I'll update you on the garden projects soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment